Keeping Organized

Honestly, I'm probably the last person to tell anyone how to organize their writing life. However, I have come up with a few tricks to make it look like I'm more organized than I really am.


Since I'm a project hopper, (I move from one story to another rapidly & at random), I have to keep track of characters, time line, chapters, etc. I keep 3 small notebooks on my desk for this purpose. One has finished projects, the second has unfinished projects & the third has notes & miscellaneous other stuff I need to put my hands on quickly.


For detailed information about  my characters, I have an index card file. On these cards, I list a variety of information. (Example below)
Front


Name:                                                                Parents' Names:
Book:                                                                  
Boyfriend or girlfriend name (or spouse)     Siblings: (If any)
Children: (If any)
Family: This is like cousins, aunts, uncles.   Age:
                                                                            Coloring: (Major importance!)
Actor/ Actress they look like                          Series: (Since I have more than 1, also important)        


Back


Employer/ Job Title
Friends & Co-Workers
Also In: (For any other books they are in. Since I use mains as secondary characters in other books, this is also quite important.)


You'll notice that on the front I have an actor or actress name. This helps me hear a voice, see movement, gauge speech patterns, gestures, etc. Sometimes this will change as a novel progresses, but generally I keep to the same person. 


Everyone will have different bits of information that are important to them, so the contents of the cards can be personalized. I'm simply listing what I consider important. Please let me know if you find this tip helpful and feel free to share your tips here.


copyright 2011 Dellani Oakes





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red River Radio Presents What's Write for Me with Brian, Gary and Whit

Excerpt from My 2008 NaNoWriMo Novel - Deserted

Excerpt from My NaNoWriMo Novel 2013 - Fly by Night